Mama

STARRING:Jessica Chastain,Nikolaj Coster-Waldau,Megan Carpenter
RUN TIME: 1hr,40mins
YEAR: 2013
MY RATING: 3/10

So this week I had the great pleasure of watching Mama. I use the words "great pleasure" very loosely. Mama is the story of a couple Luke (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) and Annabel (Jessica Chastain with a nifty hipster punk make-over) who take in Luke's young nieces, Victoria and Lilly after a 5 year search for them and his missing brother. The girls were found in a cabin in the woods dirty, malnourished and extremely antisocial. Over a few weeks the girls
receive care at a mental facility where it is discovered that they have created an imaginary mother figure that they call *whisper voice* Mama. Annabel starts noticing strange things happening around the house and that it seems as of someone is coming into their home to visit and play with the girls. Mama is a bad movie let's be real here. The CGI was waaay overdone and made it hard for me to take this movie seriously. I found myself puzzled rather than scared while watching this film. The scenes that were set up to be scary had the potential but, just ended up letting me down. I could tell where they were attempting to make the film feel tense but, it just came across all wrong. There were tons of jump scares [as I expected from a movie like this] but, they were not executed well and just felt random for lack of a better word. One jump scare got me [not that it's hard, I'm a jumpy girl what can I say and that just makes it worse that I was unaffected.end ramble.] but, it was just because of the sudden loud noise. The image of Mama is probably what really ruined this movie for me she was very cartoonish looking and wasn't terrifying in the least. To me Mama looked like she was the water-bloated offspring of a lanky ballerina and Kayako from the Grudge [yea, not cute.] and keeping on the subject of Mama's characteristics tell me why she sounded like a dying giraffe? Because, I can't quite wrap my head around that. The effects in this film were beyond cheesy even the trees were computer generated which I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to add animated trees in a movie that doesn't belong in the Lord of the Rings series. So I'm sure at this point you're asking yourself if there were any good aspects of Mama and to be honest there were a few good things, the scenery and the atmospheric mood were decent and Jessica Chastain did a good job acting and the little girls played creepy well but, the only reason I got any sort of amusement from this film was due to the over the top encounters or run ins with Mama. I did find myself laughing a few times however, it was at parts that were clearly meant to be taken serious or shocking. If you have nothing better to do and want to be mildly entertained then give Mama a try but, I do not recommend it. 

Wanna know what other horror fans have to say about Mama? CLICK HERE to check out the IMDB page.

No comments:

Post a Comment